Sunday, April 20, 2008

Decisions

I was approached yesterday and offered an internship for this summer. (I didn't apply for or otherwise seek it out. Apparently a number of people recommended me.) It would start shortly after my return from Cambodia, and end just before I start at seminary. I would be work at the Yakama Christian Mission at the Yakama Indian Reservation, both with children and with various mission groups that come to work at the reservation.


It would seem to be one of the most incredible opportunities. I think it's something like $2,500 for the summer and also includes room and board. I'd be able to work on something within or closely related to what has become my passion, and get paid for it. I'd be working with some of the most justice-minded people that I've ever met in my life, and also make some valuable contacts for the future.

At the same time, it couldn't have come at a worse time at least in a sense. This summer has the potential to be one of the most amazing summer of my life thus far, here in Eugene. I would be surrounded by incredible friends who are all motivated to hang out. We have plans for picnics, camping, baseball games, barbecues, parties, floating rivers and more than I can even begin to list. This is quite possibly my last full summer to spend with many of these people, I'll be moving to California this fall and next summer many of them will be moving on in their lives. 

What in the world am I supposed to do? How can I possibly choose between and internship opportunity, and what could be my last opportunity to spend an extended amount of time with these friends that have so impacted my life? I think about which seems to fit my potential vocation better, and while the social justice of the mission fits very well, so does the ever important development of an incredible support network of my best friends. It's not to say that my friends won't be my friends no matter what I choose, it's to say that the bonding that can happen this summer could help make some of the strongest friendships of my life become even stronger.

I wish that I could somehow choose both, but I don't think that's possible. How in the world can I even begin to contemplate making this decision?

0 comments:

Counter