Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's all over

A couple good friends have dubbed me a waffle, meaning that I compartmentalize my experiences and don't have everything flowing together. While this tends to make going through life a little more straightforward it also has a tendency to cause me to put things off for a while that I really should be processing. 


Two days ago I deleted my Uncle Harry's phone number from my cellphone.

Three days ago I graduated from college.

Today I leave for the other side of the world, on the way there we will pass through China where 12,000 people have been killed by an earthquake and when we arrive in Cambodia we will be within spitting distance of Burma, where 32,000 people have been killed.

In four months I move to another part of the country, and leave behind my best friends.

In three years I will have to go into the real world and stop being a student.


While for some people a new season is something to be celebrated without reservation, for me a new season is something to be entered into, but entered into fully knowing that I am leaving behind some very good times in my life. This morning I got watery eyed for only the second time since graduating. I suppose I can keep setting things off to the side, but I feel like eventually I'm going to have to come face to face with them. 

0 comments:

Counter